Labels

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

. On the Importance of Keeping Your Head~ ~While All Around are Losing Theirs~

The title should tell you that I braved the elements - and went Christmas shopping today.  Well, not exactly totally Christmas shopping.  We started out that way, but got waylaid by the dazzling display of tv's in Costco.  Right by the entry door, of course.  They know how to really hurt your pocketbook! 

But no, I went dutifully onward towards the regular stuff, and, of course, the tasty samples in the food section.  You can eat lunch there, if you are careful to not be too obviousw while sneaking samples.  there were a lot of us grazers today.

As I cruised about, looking for the perfect gifts under $20,  I noticed that the Christmas- craze had many of us loading our carts with food fit to harden the arteries, and expand the waist; as well as all kinds of kiddie toys for the young, middle aged and old! 

Doesn't everyone need a set of 5 hand puppets?  I thought so.  How about all those irresistable kitchen appliances that almost but not quite duplicate what we have at home?  And manly tools.  Who can resisist another set of wrenches or drill bits for those favorite men in your life?  Complete with nifty carrying cases and add on flashlights?  Not me. 

I did pretty well though, avoiding the clothing, books and bicycles that I really wanted for myself! Have you looked at all the stylish and exciting bicycles out there everywhere this year?  Must be high on the kiddie and adult list of dream gifts. 

But when I got ready to leave, I noticed my husband and son admiring a " Moderately priced, $200  off, latest and greatest, -just what we need- and you'll never find it at this price again- cable and internet ready, backlit,"  sleek and shiny, very skinny tv.  Its name was Vizio. It weighs 55 lbs.  Well, what is a woman to do?  So I put on my justification hat.  My husband does have poor eyesight; we're not as young as we used to be; we aren't going to take it with us; what the hell.  So tightwad Grandma trotted up to the checkout, handed over my American Express card, and said "I'll take two."  No, No, No-- only one.. I may be crazy, but not that crazy!

I'm preparing myself not to regret this when the credit card bill shows up- NEXT year!!

The outside of the house is festooned with lights- the inside is barely decorated in anticipation of the great grandkids we will entertain over the holidays and we are well and happy.  Peace and love to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment