Labels

Monday, September 6, 2010

How We Spent Labor Day

We had quite a day.  -Went looking for portable dog carriers. Wal-Mart first. Nothing there we wanted..   On our way out, Grandpa got bucked off his electric scooter onto the pavement. Picked himself up- (well sort of struggled up by holding onto one side of the cart while I stood on the other to keep it from going over on him).  Said he was fine, so off we went to Subway for a sandwich.  Food was great.  A Good Day!

Left there and headed back home to pick up our dogs, Benji and Tinkerbelle, and go to Petsmart to try out some carriers.  Got to Petsmart, and Grandpa couldn't find his scooter keys!  We spent 15 minutes hunting, and finally found them underneath his Big Gulp in the van console.  Sounds about right don't you think?.  We unloaded the cart and the dogs, and ventured into Petsmart- with great expectations of dog carrier heaven.

Oops!  Just inside Benji decided it was time to unload 3 logs.  Grandpa ran over one with his cart. Ugh...You can imagine....  Off I went to get stuff to pick up the mess.  Stood in line for about 5 minutes, only  to learn I had been standing  practically on top of a clean up display, with every tool you could ever use for this job.  Oops again.  Did my duty, including directing Grandpa's cart so it missed the other bombs.  Success!

Then on to the dog crates.  (Finger torture devices- I have bruises to prove it.)  After we had pinched ourselves many times trying to assemble one, we gave up and wandered off to look at the dog leashes. 

Finally settled on 2 leashes and a choke chain. Take a deep breath....$37!!  I almost fainted.  But- when the leashes were last taken off the dogs when we returned from camping, they were misplaced, and no one can find them!  (Now we will probably find them.  Soon.)  Life.  Right?

Home again, home again.  I pulled into the driveway and left the van running, so Grandpa could unload his cart from its lift, and shuffled through my purse looking for the car keys to open the house.  No car keys. No Car Keys?? I know I had them. I had locked the house with them when we left.  I know I did.

We searched high and low.  No car keys anywhere.  By now it is 6:15 p.m.  I call the store.  The pleasant recorded voice tells me it closed early for Labor Day.  Call back tomorrow. ( Semi control freak panic sets in.)  Spent more time than I care to recount looking  in the same places over and over again, thinking the keys would miraculously materialize.

  However, lady luck smiled on us.  We found Grandpa's long lost set of car keys.  Just in time!  At least now I can drive the car!

 Every cloud has a silver lining!  Our daughter-in-law calls and is bringing us dinner.   The dinner is, as usual,  great.  (If we had been home or had the cell phone with us, we would have been eating at her house about the time this adventure unfolded.)

I am now semi-serene about it all. We are going to have an extra set of keys made for the car. The key has a computer chip in it so it will not be cheap.  Who said the best things in life are free?

And as to Grandpa's knees?  Yep. They are very sore tonight.  They have 80 years on them and do not take kindly to being tossed around.

But we are still here, living the good life.  

It's a Good Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment